KMFMS Forum Index KMFMS
Discuss why and how to avoid Microsoft

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

<<< Back to KMFMS home  

A few of my preferred alternatives

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric Melech

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: A few of my preferred alternatives Reply with quote

OpenOffice
I've used this program for years and it has yet to give me ANY of the problems I've had with Microsoft Office.

iTunes
I don't have an iPod, yet iTunes has repeatedly whopped Windows Media Player in just about everything it does.

Mozilla Firefox
Since I stopped using Internet Explorer (about five years ago) I've had nil spyware and viruses. Plus, it has so many better features that it'd take hours to glow over them all. I used to think Opera was the best - and you might too - but Firefox took that place for me. Plus, Firefox is open source.

Hmm... I can't think of any more at the moment. I thought I'd have more; I mostly use the computer to game, so that's probably it.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestions.

- admin
Groxx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iTunes... well, it's better than Windows Media Player by a long shot, but it's still woefully ineffective. Overall, due to its more advanced capabilities out-of-the-box (so to speak), I prefer Winamp to most other media players. Many plugins exist to do almost anything you want, and it comes with global hotkeys (keys you can press in any application to perform an action in Winamp. Like changing volume, track, etc), one massive oversight by Apple on iTunes.

I've got an iPod, and a Mac laptop (Powerbook). And I've already snagged alternative syncronizing software for the iPod, and rarely use iTunes, as I've already switched to more capable software.

iTunes has ONE advantage, though, that others don't: automatic streaming over networks. It's really handy at my college; I can listen to anyone's music in my dorm building Smile
gates sucks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: itunes Reply with quote

i dont much care for itunes. it is slow and unresponsive at times, and I find it VERY difficult to enter information, like track id, artist and so on without playing the music, which slows it down more during import
Bane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: My current alt-list Reply with quote

Outlook = Kontact
MSWord = OpenOffice.org
Photoshop = the GIMP
MSN Messenger = aMSN/Pidgin (aMSN has more features but Pidgin plugs into Gnome better)
Windows Media Player = Amarok (and Kaffine for video)
Internet Explorer = Firefox (with ad-block plus of course!)

Blender is a kick-arse 3D editor (and free!!!)
LMMS is a great music synthesizer
F-Spot is a great photo-organizer
I haven't really been thrilled with any video editors as yet--Kino can slop a few cuts together but I'm trying out a couple of others. Getting all the codecs to match up is the main hassle here Sad

And if I want to play games I boot up the Xbox--If only the rest of Micro$oft worked as well as that little box of joy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KMFMS Forum Index -> Microsoft Alternatives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, KMFMS.