KMFMS Forum Index KMFMS
Discuss why and how to avoid Microsoft

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

<<< Back to KMFMS home  

Chart of Alternatives - How about pros/cons?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slant6mopar@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Chart of Alternatives - How about pros/cons? Reply with quote

Heya,

Big M$ hater here, have been long before I ever worked in IT; back when I had to put a lavalier mic on Gates himself before a TV interview... but that's another story.

Linked to kmfms.com long ago with a 100% M$ Free banner ad, not of your creation. (Shut up, my workstation is Win 2000, because the damned professors at the university where I work aren't smart enough to save PowerPoint etc. as platform-independent files.)

The alternatives graph is great, but you need to adjust it. Add a right-hand column past "Alternatives" for disadvantages. Use the hyphen (-) delimited columns from below as examples:

Desktop OS - Windows - Linux/FreeBSD/MacOSX/etc - You will have to alert payroll that most of your Microsoft-Certified Reboot Technicians will require severence pay. Also, cancel Symantec's automatic billing for your antivirus software. The temporary secretary in Accounts Payable won't be able to open that electronic greeting card from her anonymous friend in Kuala Lumpur.

Word Processor - Word - OpenOffice - Some Word documents won't open properly, but neither will any Word viruses.

Web server - IIS - Apache/etc - Web developers will have to have more skills than the high school interns you've been "paying", but you'll never get another support call that your site claims it's been Hacked by Chinese.

etc. etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KMFMS Forum Index -> Microsoft Alternatives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, KMFMS.