KMFMS Forum Index KMFMS
Discuss why and how to avoid Microsoft

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

<<< Back to KMFMS home  

OS alternatives

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgbotsford

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: OS alternatives Reply with quote

My personal take:
Linux on my desktop: Of the various systems, it has a reasonable amount of GUI usability without beating your head into the wall. But on my linux box I use a zillion xterms, Opera, and Framemaker. Not much for specialty applications that need graphics.

Freebsd for my servers. It has a slight performance edge over openbsd, and a somewhat wider set of ports.

Openbsd for my firewall.

HOWEVER
There are a raft of things that can only be done on windows boxes. Linux has no equivalent of access; the word processors are at best mediocre; and

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My personal take:
Linux on my desktop: Of the various systems, it has a reasonable amount of GUI usability without beating your head into the wall. But on my linux box I use a zillion xterms, Opera, and Framemaker. Not much for specialty applications that need graphics.

Freebsd for my servers. It has a slight performance edge over openbsd, and a somewhat wider set of ports.

Openbsd for my firewall.

HOWEVER
There are a raft of things that can only be done on windows boxes. Linux has no equivalent of access; the word processors are at best mediocre; and

OpenBSD Forever!

Linux actually has an awesome MS-WORD alternative: OpenOffice.org. It's so good I use it on Windows (On a machine I have been banned from fixing because I'm blamed for Microshit's bugs).

FreeBSD may have an advantage sometimes, but I personally go with OpenBSD every time no Wincrap users need direct access.

I'm thinking of making an OpenBSD-based Wincrap alternative (mixed-source: Anything from OpenBSD stays that way, anything I make is mine for a year, then rereleased under the GPL for a year, then finally property of the OpenBSD team)

I personally don't use Linux, but hey, go right ahead.

Just tell me if I accidently flamed you, I'll STFU and listen Smile .
Groxx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using my Powerbook for about 5 months now, and, frankly, it's FAR better than any other OS I've ever encountered. Far more polished and stable.
In addition, it's based on Unix, and has easy access to a Unix terminal, where there are MANY more advanced tricks available. It's also easy to port between OSX and Linux distributions.

One of my favorite aspects, though, is how the OS is built. Everything is EXTREMELY integrated, which can be both a good and a bad thing. In Windows, that means it's out of your reach. Completely. In OSX, that means that it's all easy to find, modify, and reference for your programs. There are many things that ONLY a Mac can do because of this, many more things that it can do far more easily and efficiently, and it can do effectively everything Windows or Unix can.
The smaller developer base is a blessing in disguise: less programs, true, but less incompetent developers. In Windows, a large portion of software out there isn't wanted or needed, and installs extra crap on your computer. I've come across TWO such instances on my Mac, out of several thousand, and they were easily (and completely) uninstalled.

I've been a Windows user all my life. I'm in college for a computer programming degree. Computers have effectively been my LIFE for over a decade.
And for the most part, I've switched to a Mac. Completely. My PC is mostly for gaming and programming, and I've been looking into C++ IDEs for Macs to replace that function as well. Because, face it, PCs DO have a hardware advantage.

For now. I'm eagerly looking forward to the x86 architecture switch Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Groxx (again)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes, Open Office is fantastic as well. FINALLY, a way around that infinitely irritating (and of course, impossible to gainsay when incorrect) autocorrect.
gates sucks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: gates needs to Reply with quote

stop smokin all that weed, and get those guys to write SOFTWARE. all they turn out is crap!
he needs to get the memo, within a decade, i think windows will be eradicated, but only if people get their heads out of their butts, and use an alterative. Linux and MacOSX are the best in my opinion. Cool
Pierce

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As OS alternatives, I would recommend SuSE Linux, because it is quite foolproof, and if the hardware was still available, AmigaOne computers with AmigaOS 4. (there'll be new AmigaOne-compatible hardware later on this year, I hope this time I'll be able to get back to the Amiga community)

Solaris 10 is great as well, but can be difficult to install.

Slackware Linux was easy to install for me, but I'm familiar with a lot of different UNIX-like platforms.

I'm using Slackware to write this artcile. Smile
Brad R

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really impressed with SuSE 9.0 when I installed it on my laptop, and I still recommend SuSE (among others).

At the moment our local Linux Users Group is evaluating several distributions to decide which we can recommend to Linux newbies. We'd like to agree on one distro that we can all install on a spare partition or a spare PC, so that when a new user has problems, several of us will be in a position to help.

(This came up because, a few months ago, we were embarassed when a new Ubuntu user couldn't get dial-up networking configured and asked us for help. None of us knew how to help, because none of us use Ubuntu.)

I'll try to remember to report back when we have a decision.
Eduardo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac OS X is sooooo good. Simple, reliable and beautiful.

I'm in love with it. Smile
yahurd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Linux actually has an awesome MS-WORD alternative: OpenOffice.org. It's so good I use it on Windows (On a machine I have been banned from fixing because I'm blamed for Microshit's bugs).

happened to me.......
Bane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Mandriva & Sabayon Reply with quote

Mandriva Linux is a great way to introduce newbies to a non Micro$soft OS. I installed it on a home PC and it has turned my technophobic little sister into a fan overnight. It's streamlined and sleek under gnome, loaded with a great program set and mp3 support built in--take that Ubuntu Wink Administration is a breeze too.

Another great Linux Distro is Sabayon Linux--I have had a lot of fun with it over the last couple of months. Very stylish, though a bit buggy in spots. I t comes with a pretty full program and codec set which makes the liveCD a bit more useful than many others and reduces the post-install downloads.

And yes, the Mac kicks arse if you can afford it Very Happy
Brad R

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, my blushes. I was supposed to report back "when we have a decision." Well, our Linux Users Group settled on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS late in that year; recently we've been installing Ubuntu 7.10, and I think we'll be switching to 8.04 LTS when it's released later this month.

I've been hearing some good early buzz from the beta testers about the next release of Mandriva. Come to think of it, wasn't that supposed to be released this month?

(Oops again. According to Distrowatch, Mandriva 2008.1 was released last week.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KMFMS Forum Index -> Microsoft Alternatives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, KMFMS.