KMFMS Forum Index KMFMS
Discuss why and how to avoid Microsoft

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

<<< Back to KMFMS home  

Alternatives for MS Outlook
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nothingsmine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Alternatives for MS Outlook Reply with quote

Does any one know of alternatives for MS Outlook. To manage appointments contacts etc.

Thanks in advance
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll list what I use and hopefully others can add suggestions to the mix.

For email and my address book, I use the Mozilla mail client, the latest incarnation of which is Thunderbird.

For calendaring, I use Yahoo! Calendar. It is very convenient since I can use it from anywhere when I'm traveling - all you need is a web access. I also really like how it will email out reminders before a given event. Email is one thing that I always check even while on the road, so I always get the reminders so long as I can find a way to get on the web (as I invariably do). Incidentally, if you sign up for a Yahoo! account, you'll also get access to Yahoo! Mail, which you can use to manage your contacts and email as well.

In that vein, other web-based solutions may provide a convenient alternative to Outlook as well and might be worth exploring.

Does that cover everything that you currently use Outlook for? If not, how else do you use it?

- admin
Brad R

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told that Evolution is very similar to Outlook in appearance and functionality. I've never used it myself. (I use Thunderbird for email and address book.)
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, thanks for the pointer to Evolution. That's definitely something to consider if you want an Outlook alternative on Linux. Does it run on Windows too? I didn't see Windows mentioned on the download page and there is an Evolution for Windows website which said that the port is just for developers at this point.

nothingsmine, I just noticed that I left something out of my original response to your post. The alerts that Yahoo! Calendar sends will work even without web access or a computer (in the traditional sense), so it is even more convenient than I originally made it out to be. In addition to email alerts, you can also have the calendar send alerts to your mobile devices when an event is approaching. If the event is very important to me, I have it send a text message to my cell phone - that will always reach me, web access or not.

- admin
Brad R

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't know you were looking for cross-platform alternatives. AFAIK Evolution is strictly for Linux, although I'm happy to hear about the Evolution for Windows project...that will make migration easier for Windows users.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. The alternatives don't necessarily need to be cross platform, so your suggestion was good. I just figured there is a good chance that the original poster is probably on Windows given that he is an Outlook user, but perhaps he is not on Windows and in any case listing non-Windows alternatives may help others reading this page.

- admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great program for managing your calender which wasn't mentioned was Mozilla's SunBird project.

Its in the very early stages of development but having used Outlook in a busy office enviroment myself I found the interface very fresh and clear and useful. I've been using it a while now and its never crashed. I even think theres a way to import your old events/tasks from outlook but havne't looked into it, you should give it a try. Very Happy
gates sucks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: alts for outlook Reply with quote

thunderbird is the best (in my opinion) for POP3 and IMAP acounts.
for web email, go with excite, low storage space, but it is more compatible with firefox and macs than with windows. i do not recomend yahoo! or msn because they have recently turned over their email database to big brother bush. :(
gordo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: snych Reply with quote

does thunderbird synch on contacts with cell phones? any software you could suggest? what about on calendar?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What cell phone do you have? I found the following synchronization options for Thunderbird, but I'm not sure what cell phones they might work with, if any:

These may or may not actually work with cell phones, but knowing what you have would help limit the scope of the search.

- admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gordo,

I just found a program called FinchSync which sounds like it will synchronize between Thunderbird, Sunbird, Pocket PCs, and SmartPhones. For more information, see http://www.finchsync.com/

- admin
Stephenie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this!
I too downloaded FinchSync after seeing your post and have been using it since morning and its working fine.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: wow...thanks Reply with quote

I have been having problems with Microsoft Outlook for the longest, but I recently started college and since I have an email address with the school I obviously need some way to read the mail.
Thank you so much for the Thunderbird reccomendation. It was so easy to set up, and I got my mail in no time. I'm considering switching to Mozilla all together now. Thank you!
Sanguinity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Thunderbird's Amazing! Reply with quote

I've been using thunderbird for the past 2-3 months in managing 6-8 different POP3 accounts, it is just brilliant. The ease of use, the clean interface and the exclusion of unnecessary features (MS office cliche) makes it one of the best out there. The only thing I feel it lacks is the flagging feature frm outlook.. that came in handy for followup. It does have tags.. but the tag icons are too small to be significant.
Also if youre using thunderbird, try out thunderbrowse and minimize to tray add ons available on mozilla to make life even easier!
JasonGawker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hi

I must say I support the anti-microsoft movement, although some of the software they put out is usually viewed as essential. I am a huge advocate of thunderbird, and firefox of course. The Mozilla crew release some of the best open source based software there is, and its usually better than what MicroSift has to offer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KMFMS Forum Index -> Microsoft Alternatives All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, KMFMS.