KMFMS Forum Index KMFMS
Discuss why and how to avoid Microsoft

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

<<< Back to KMFMS home  

Trying out free alternatives of ms office

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KMFMS Forum Index -> Microsoft Alternatives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Trying out free alternatives of ms office Reply with quote

Editor's Note: This post and subsequent posts from the same visitor purport to be from an objective user merely trying out alternatives, but investigation of the server logs reveal they originated from an IP address registered to Kingsoft. The recommendation and critique of competitors should therefore not be considered genuine.

Hi,

Just curious about what ms office free alternatives everyone is using. I am currently trying out openoffice and kingsoft office 2012.
Open office is well known for some time, and the latter one was a recommendation from a friend of mine. As free alternatives, both are good. But I think kingsoft office better in that its interface resembles ms office, so it is easier for me to use all the functions. For compatibility with ms office, both are highly compatible with ms office files. Is there anyone that also uses this kingsoft free office? What do you think about it?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Open Office for years for tons of spreadsheets and word processing documents, especially when I need to be able to read MS Office formats.

Within the past year, I have also started using Google Docs a lot, both for spreadsheets and word processing documents. It is particularly useful for being able to effortlessly share documents among multiple users and multiple devices. I love how I can switch between my laptop, desktop, and phone and my docs are just there. I also like being able to very easily share documents with my wife - it's great for shopping lists since we can both edit the document and we automatically have it everywhere we go. I haven't tried testing out the maturity of its MS Office compatibility, but I do believe there is some compatibility there.

- admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your help. I've tried Google docs and it is quite useful.
jkmm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: I stick with free software Reply with quote

Google Docs is ok, but I think it's a little bit expensive, it just has the basic functionalities other free software has, so, it's not worth to buy. I installed Kingsoft Office on my computer, so far, it works pretty good. And im gonna stick with it at least in the near future. Very Happy
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I stick with free software Reply with quote

jkmm wrote:
Google Docs is ok, but I think it's a little bit expensive

Google Docs is free ($0).

- admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: I stick with free software Reply with quote

admin wrote:
jkmm wrote:
Google Docs is ok, but I think it's a little bit expensive

Google Docs is free ($0).

- admin

I mean the Apps Premium Edition. The free version lack of nearly all the advanced features. And can barely save the word, Excel and PowerPoint formats. Besides, its not print reliable.
So I'd rather stick with the traditional office software.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am closing this thread because I discovered that the IP address you are posting from is registered to Kingsoft. Had you posted a message here announcing your software as an alternative to MS Office, that would have been great, but pretending to be an independent, objective user is just dishonest. Please don't post here again - your posts may be deleted.

To anyone else reading this, the criticisms of Google Docs levied here seem at least exaggerated and possibly wrong. I would encourage anybody seeking an alternative to MS Office to try Google Docs to see if it works for your own use cases, especially since the cross device and multi-user sharing make it a superior alternative for a lot of uses. For potentially better compatibility with MS Office formats, as well as for documents that are too sensitive to expose to the "cloud", OpenOffice is fantastic.

- admin
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KMFMS Forum Index -> Microsoft Alternatives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, KMFMS.