KMFMS Forum Index KMFMS
Discuss why and how to avoid Microsoft

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

<<< Back to KMFMS home  

Windows Verification is the worst!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KMFMS Forum Index -> What's So Bad About Microsoft?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philnoir

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Windows Verification is the worst!! Reply with quote

I've been working on a Sony Vaio since '01, which came with Windows XP Pro bundled in. Suddenly, when the Windows Verification process started (Feb.07 I think) my system has become unstable. I cannot download anything from MS; in addition my Media Player won't play and who knows what else I haven't discovered yet....
I jumped through a whole bunch of flaming hoops (i.e. online forums/"support") to find out why my official XP software doesn't work, to no avail. Of course MS wants me to shell out $$ for a technical call to fix *their* error. I've already switched to Firefox and I'll be using alternate word processing/spreadsheet software asap, but I am very uncomfortable deleting my OS, I just don't have the technical know-how to install another. (Or the time.) Has anyone else encountered new instability when Verification was introduced? Is there something I can do to help without screwing around with my registry, that makes me nervous. Thanks!
PS I'm getting a Mac Pro soon! :)
vqflores

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Windows Verification Reply with quote

My wife went through the windows verification on her Sony VAIO which we bought at Fry's Electronics two years ago. When the verification was finished her computer became very slow and then various programs started complaining about files missing. When i went looking for one of the missing files i discovered that about half the files under her user account were missing. Now i have to spend hours in front of her PC babysitting Norton Ghost (File backup software) to recover all the files that were destroyed by the windows verification process.

With friends like Microsoft who needs enemies?

I am also very happy that after owning PCs for 24 years, last October I bought an iMAC 24 for myself instead. Now i have to figure out if my wife's business software exists on iMAC.[/url]
The_Lion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Microsoft WGA & verification rubbish Reply with quote

My biggest gripe with Windows XP was when I registered it to find someone, somewhere had 'skimmed' my COA code.

Whoever copied the coa can obtain free updates & downloads from Microsoft ad infinitum with their illegal copy. Whilst me, as the legal owner of the COA & license, cannot & furthermore was told by Microsoft 'support' that I had to pay £99 for another license?

Hardly a sympathetic attitude towards a loyal customer? But hang on a minute, Ive already have a COA! Thats very, very wrong in my opinion, I have the Microsoft Genuine COA license sticker (they can send some one around to check) but according to Microsoft, its now worthless junk and to add insult to injury they expect me to buy another? Sorry, NO WAY Microsoft.

I removed the WGA software & no longer update Windows, I no longer buy anything Microsoft and my laptop replaced with a Macbook that never goes wrong when my PC dies it will be replaced with a Macpro.
James Bond 007

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Windows Verification is the worst!! Reply with quote

philnoir wrote:
I've been working on a Sony Vaio since '01, which came with Windows XP Pro bundled in. Suddenly, when the Windows Verification process started (Feb.07 I think) my system has become unstable. I cannot download anything from MS; in addition my Media Player won't play and who knows what else I haven't discovered yet....
I jumped through a whole bunch of flaming hoops (i.e. online forums/"support") to find out why my official XP software doesn't work, to no avail. Of course MS wants me to shell out $$ for a technical call to fix *their* error. I've already switched to Firefox and I'll be using alternate word processing/spreadsheet software asap, but I am very uncomfortable deleting my OS, I just don't have the technical know-how to install another. (Or the time.) Has anyone else encountered new instability when Verification was introduced? Is there something I can do to help without screwing around with my registry, that makes me nervous. Thanks!
PS I'm getting a Mac Pro soon! Smile

Windows Vertification? That's the WGA thing I suppose.

That bullsh*t thing can be wrong so many times when it attempts to "decide" whether your copy of Windows is "genuine". Moreover, a crack can be easily obtained from the internet.

Microsoft pushed this thing (WGA Notifications) under the pretense of a critical security update when in fact it is not. When I am using Windows XP (have still to, unfortunately) I make sure not to allow its installation when doing security updates.

By the way I have been using Macs and also start experimenting with Ubuntu. Microsoft will never see another cent of my money.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Windows Verification is the worst!! Reply with quote

James Bond 007 wrote:
philnoir wrote:
PS I'm getting a Mac Pro soon! Smile

Windows Vertification? That's the WGA thing I suppose.

That bullsh*t thing can be wrong so many times when it attempts to "decide" whether your copy of Windows is "genuine". Moreover, a crack can be easily obtained from the internet.

Microsoft pushed this thing (WGA Notifications) under the pretense of a critical security update when in fact it is not. When I am using Windows XP (have still to, unfortunately) I make sure not to allow its installation when doing security updates.

By the way I have been using Macs and also start experimenting with Ubuntu. Microsoft will never see another cent of my money.

There is a tweak for this activation by the way...you will have to google it though as I don't want my sorry ass in a sling
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KMFMS Forum Index -> What's So Bad About Microsoft? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, KMFMS.