KMFMS Forum Index KMFMS
Discuss why and how to avoid Microsoft

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

<<< Back to KMFMS home  

What Alternatives Are There to Microsoft?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KMFMS Forum Index -> Microsoft Alternatives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: What Alternatives Are There to Microsoft? Reply with quote

Note: This is an archived message from when the KMFMS discussion forums were hosted by Everyone.net which has since discontinued its community boards service. If you wish to continue the discussion of this message, please post a new topic.

Author: moderator

Please discuss the KMFMS page "What Alternatives Are There to Microsoft?" within this thread.

- The Moderator
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Alternative MTAs Reply with quote

Note: This is an archived message from when the KMFMS discussion forums were hosted by Everyone.net which has since discontinued its community boards service. If you wish to continue the discussion of this message, please post a new topic.

Author: rwelty

you reference two well known MTAs, sendmail and qmail, but neglect to mention two other well regarded alternatives, exim (http://www.exim.org/) and postfix (http://www.postfix.org/). i'm personally a big fan of exim, and postfix gets good reviews as well. you should definitely add them to the list of MTAs to be reviewed.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Hotmail Alterantive Reply with quote

Author: stevenlego

What you guys said at KMFMS' "Alterantives" section about Hotmail was this: "When selecting a web based email service, you absolutely do not want to use Hotmail. Forget for a moment the large number of security holes that have been uncovered in the Hotmail service (including one that allowed anybody to read the email from any Hotmail account without using a password). An even bigger problem is that by using Hotmail you are very likely to become victim of Microsoft's typical lock-in tactics at some point in the not-too-distant future. MSN has locked out non Microsoft browsers before, forcing people to use Internet Explorer, so what happens if Hotmail starts doing this too? Don't think for a second that it doesn't matter because you use IE anyway - what happens when you're traveling and you stop to check your email via the web? What if you're visiting a friend who uses Netscape or you're at a web kiosk that uses Linux underneath for security purposes? You won't be able to use IE, which means you won't be able to use services that require IE. "

Ok, I understand all of this crap, but what is the real reason WHY people go to Yahoo! Mail? Cause of the SPAM!!!!!!! I left Hotmail cause the low storage and the spam, I have MSN 8 and the "anti-spam" crap is nothing, MSN 8 still brings me spam in my inbox. I like the Hotmail interface compare to Yahoo! cause if I had unread messages in my trash, it would tell me, and if I clicked on empty, Hotmail gave me the Javascript (yes, I know it's a Micro$oft invention) saying if I am sure to empty the trash. So the point is the real reason why people go to alterantives not cause of the techie issues, but cause of the spam.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: OS section update Reply with quote

Author: peanutt

The alternatives article is ancient. You need to do an updated review of Mac OS X. It's grown a lot since 1998/99 and the days of OS X Server 1.0. Take a look at 10.2 Server or Client. And 10.3 is coming later this month. It's definitely a popular and effective alternative to Windows and it's UNIX core provides a good starting point for users who may eventually grow up to use advanced CLI features. What could be better?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KMFMS Forum Index -> Microsoft Alternatives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, KMFMS.